Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

These Are My Confessions

{Feel free to sing the Usher song while you read this}

I need to come clean.
I have an addiction. It is so much worst than my addiction to Diet Coke or terrible reality shows about the Kardashians.

Let's start at the beginning shall we.

I have always said that I would not be a mom that heavily relied on technology to entertain my kid. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I just knew it wouldn't work for our family. I just knew that I wanted to be in control of our screen time, and not have the screen time be in control of us. {"Screen Time" is a phrase that you have to start using when you become a parent. Just trust me on this one.} And even though Macy is only five months old, I think we have done a pretty good job. Aside from one episode of Yo Gabba Gabba on a flight with no car seat (desperate times call for desperate measures), Macy hasn't watched any TV.

As far as our (Jonathan and me) TV watching goes I think we have it fairly under control. We don't have a lot of shows that we "watch". And besides the occasional lazy day or EVERY Sunday of football season, our TV is rarely on for hours on end. Now don't get me wrong...I LOVE television, but I can appreciate a quiet room as much as the next introvert (I know this is not really what being an introvert is...no need to write me any letters of correction).

So of course I entered into this idea of less screen time with the utmost arrogance.

Enter moving to Colorado, becoming a stay-at-home-mom, and snow.
But it wasn't the TV that got me. It was the other "screens". My beloved iPhone and laptop.

I have always loved my phone and laptop. I have been known to pay more attention to my phone than the actual people in the room. And my love affair with the internet started in Alanna Moine's living room in eighth grade. But it is like when I moved to Colorado I became a pro internet user.

It started with my new renewed obsession with blogs, and my discovery of BlogLovin' (Are you using it to read blogs? You really should be.) All of a sudden I had more time and more interest in what total strangers were posting on the internet.

Then it moved over to Craigslist and all the free pieces of furniture I could pick up and refinish (I got over that after one piece...sanding...the worst).

Then I moved on to obsessively searching realtor.com for a potential house for us. Since that process has been stalled for a week or two I decided it would be healthy to take a break from that website.

That was just on my computer.

My phone is next level.
Just to name a few.
Instagram. Vine. Twitter. Facebook. TimeHop. Pinterest.
Every hour on the hour.

Here is where the addiction kicks in.
It's called Candy Crush Saga, and I am thinking about starting a support group for it.
I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of it. I have become O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D.
Like when you run out of lives they make you wait 30 minutes before you can earn another life. 30 MINUTES! So you know what I do? I straight up delete that app, and reinstall it and start from the beginning.
It. Is. Sick. People.
We aren't talking a couple of times here, we are talking like erasing it probably 20 times in the last two days.

Then something weird started to happen. Macy started to grab for my phone. And my laptop. And all of a sudden things she never even noticed were things she needed to get her hands on. And I had a realization...life moves fast. And if I am going to stick to my limited "screen time" for Macy, then I probably need to do it for myself as well. I don't have an action plan yet, but I know it involves some kind of "only when Macy is sleeping" boundaries...and reading a book (goodness gracious...ANY book).

So wish me luck.
Actually, do me one better.
Pray for me.

No comments: